Tuesday, May 28, 2013

52 People Project - Raegan Smith Robbins

This is the fifth installment of my 52 People Project where I reflect on individuals who I have had the honor to walk side by side with on this journey called life.

This past weekend, we had a wedding in our backyard.

Each Spring, Jenn eagerly plans the layout of our backyard. Who am I kidding...all year long she plans and strategizes to make everything even more amazing than it was the year before. But this Spring, she was even more meticulous with the placement of each plant and flower to make the perfect backdrop for her baby sister's special day.

I met Raegan 4 years ago at a Starbucks when she was in town visiting family. One thing I knew immediately about Raegan is that she is as beautiful on the inside as she in on the outside. She is genuine and although heads turn when she walks into a room, she isn't self consumed.

If I had to be completely honest, I would admit that I sometimes make assumptions about people. I never would have expected Raegan to be so down to earth. When Jenn and I participated in the triathlon in Austin, we stayed with Raegan. She was so generous letting us invade her space and I couldn't help but be in awe as I watched her stand over the stove and eat Macaroni & Cheese mixed with tuna.

Raegan came out to support us at the triathlon. She had to park so far away from the finish line that she got blisters on her feet from her cute shoes. She was in so much pain but smiled anyway. It meant a lot to have someone cheering us on.

I'm not sure how and when Raegan met Jake...but into our lives walked this very handsome and hilarious guy. The first time I really got to know Jake was when we made the car ride to Ada together for the funeral of Jenn and Raegan's Papa. I was nervous to be in the car with him for such a long time...worried that we would run out of things to talk about. However, now I'm pretty sure Jake and I would NEVER run out of words to share with one another. Jake makes Raegan laugh. He is intelligent and works hard. They aren't perfect. They have each had their run-ins with "crazy" but never at the same time and I love how they have pushed through the hard times and have come out stronger as a couple.

Raegan and Jake live in the Oklahoma City area with their 4 "children". Penny, Bristol, Milli and Lil are all dogs that they have rescued. I've never met anyone who loves dogs more. I'm pretty sure Raegan would adopt 30 if it were legal. Raegan is a hair stylist. I think she is one of the very best! Jake is a financial planner for Northwest Mutual. Last year he was awarded the Rookie of the Year for his region as well as recognized as a Top 10 Advisor in his company. He is kind of a big deal :)

Raegan and Jake, your wedding was beautiful. I can't imagine a more perfect picture of love. I have so enjoyed laughing with you and watching your love grow through the years. I can't wait to make many fun memories with you and grow old together as family. Thanks for letting us be part of your special day. And more than anything, thank you for accepting me and accepting us without hesitation. You have always made me feel like part of the family and for that I am humbly thankful! You are two of my very favorite people on the planet. I am so thankful that we get to share steps along this journey called life. Love you both!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment